Sunday, July 1, 2018

German test

Before getting into life after Santorini -posts (yes, life did go on even though we left the beautiful Santorini behind), there must be one another post entirely. As most of you know, I've been studying German with a private teacher since last August. Most of the time I've felt like I'm retarded, and despite the efforts of the teacher, I fail to grasp the idea of dative and accusative. When we were getting more and more near finishing the second book of A1 level, my teacher started pressing more and more me taking a test to prove that the lessons with her hasn't been in vain.

My first reaction was "ok, but you do know I'm going to fail". So sure I was that dative and accusative would be my downfalls that I didn't even bother thinking that there could be a possibility for passing. Then my teacher laughed at me and said the test is not about dative and accusative, but it's to show them you can ask simple questions and understand simple directions. So, at that point I said ok, fine, lets get practicing. And oh boy, practice we did. I bought a test book that is dedicated only on giving example tests. I did all the example tests online I could find. When in lessons, we practiced speaking as I realized to my horror there is also a speaking exercise where one has to actually speak in a team in front of the instructors.

And after the first practice test I realized I actually can pass this exam. And after few other tests I realized I can actually achieve high scores. And then the game was on. I'm very ambitious, as you might've guessed. I wouldn't be here where I am otherwise. I started chasing better and better results, and asked my teacher to give me more tests to practice on. When my man had his motorbike license's theory exam and he passed with 100%, I knew that was nothing less I could be satisfied with.

On the day of the exam I was extremely nervous and I was sure I wouldn't make the high scores I was  hunting. When the exam finally started, I was just relieved. It was like all the practice exams I had made: in parts ridiculously easy, in parts not so easy by no means. Some words I forgot what they meant so I was sure I wouldn't score high scores. I knew that I would pass, but I wasn't sure with how high scores.

But, since I am little miss Over-achiever, I came out with 100 points out of 100, with a wide grin on my face. I am proud of myself. I did this while working full time, while going through the hardest times of my life. I did this, and now it's time to set focus on the next level. I will still feel retarded for sure, but this gave me the motivation and belief that maybe with a lot of work I actually can learn this damn language.


*****

Ennen kuin siirryn elämää Santorinin jälkeen -postauksiin (kyllä, elämä on jatkunut vaikka jätimmekin kauniin Santorinin taaksemme), minun täytyy kirjoittaa jostain täysin muusta. Kuten suurin osa teistä tietää, olen opiskellut saksaa yksityisopettajan johdolla viime elokuusta saakka. Suurimman osan ajasta olen tuntenut itseni jälkeenjääneeksi, ja huolimatta opettajan yrityksistä, en ymmärrä datiivia tai akkusatiivia. Kun lähestyimme A1 tason kakkoskirjan loppua, opettajani alkoi painostamaan minua siitä että koe olisi hyvä suorittaa jotta voisimme todistaa etteivät tunnit ole olleet turhia.

Ensimmäinen reaktioni oli "ok, mutta tiedäthän että reputan". Niin varma olin siitä että datiivi ja akkusatiivi olisivat tuhoni etten edes viitsinyt miettiä vaihtoehtoa että voisin läpäistä. Sitten opettajani nauroi minulle ja sanoi ettei testi ole datiivista ja akkusatiivista, vaan se on siitä että näytät osaavasi kysyä yksinkertaisia kysymyksiä ja ymmärtäväsi yksinkertaisia ohjeita. No, siinä vaiheessa totesin että aloitetaan harjoittelemaan. Ja voi pojat miten me harjoittelimmekaan. Ostin harjoituskirjan joka on tehty vain testiä varten harjoitteluun. Tein kaikki esimerkkitestit jotka löysin netistä. Kun olin tunneilla, harjoittelimme puhumista sillä tajusin kauhukseni että kokeessa täytyy myös puhua valvojien edessä.

Ja ensimmäisen harjoitustestin jälkeen tajusin että saatan oikeasti läpäistä kokeen. Ja muutaman lisäharjoitustestin jälkeen tajusin että saatan oikeasti saada korkeat pisteet. Ja silloin päätin suorittaa. Olen hyvin kunnianhimoinen kuten olette ehkä arvanneet. En olisi tässä missä olen jos en olisi kunnianhimoinen. Aloitin jahtaamaan parempia ja parempia tuloksia, ja pyysin opettajaani antamaan lisää harjoituksia. Kun mieheni läpäisi moottoripyöräkorttinsa teoriakokeen 100%, tiesin etten olisi itse yhtään vähempään tyytyväinen.

Koepäivänä olin todella hermostunut ja olin varma etten saavuttaisi korkeita pisteitä joita tavoittelin. Kun koe vihdoin alkoi, olin vain helpottunut. Se oli kuten kaikki ne harjoitustestin joita olin tehnyt: osin naurettavan helppo, osin kaikkea muuta paitsi helppo. Osan sanoista olin unohtanut joten olin varma etten saisi korkeita pisteitä. Tiesin että pääsisin läpi, mutta en ollut varma millaisilla pisteillä.

Mutta, koska olen pieni neiti Ylisuorittaja, sain 100 pistettä 100:sta leveän virnistyksen kera. Olen itsestäni ylpeä. Tein tämän kun työskentelen täysipäiväisesti, samalla kun kävin läpi elämäni vaikeimpia aikoja. Tein tämän, ja nyt on aika asettaa fokus seuraavaan tasoon. Tulen takuulla tuntemaan itseni jälkeenjääneeksi, mutta tämä antoi minulle motivaatiota ja uskoa että ehkäpä kovalla työllä voin oikeasti oppia tämän hiton kielen.


No comments:

Post a Comment