Saturday, October 22, 2016

Doctor

This week I had my very first visit at a doctor. My left jaw has been hurting already little bit over a week, and since it hasn't been getting better on its own, I decided to have my first experience with the German health care system.

So. I asked from my colleague where to call, and he informed me that there are actually jaw doctors and I should go and see one. Then we looked up from yellow pages one that was closest to the studio, and I got an appointment for the next day.



The doctor was really, really nice. She spoke pretty much perfect English, she had even studied in Finland for four months, and still was able to speak few words of Finnish! She did the exams and very throughout interview and then came to the conclusion that the problem is most likely stress related. She wrote me a prescription for some physiotherapy so that they can help to re-position my jaw and teach me methods how to relax it.

The only weird thing of the whole experience was that there was another patient in the room. There I was, explaining my situation, and there was mystery man x, sitting in a chair next to me his jaw open and being operated at the same time. I was very, very confused. What about privacy?

I was under the impression that this doctor's appointment would've been covered by the health insurance which is ridiculously expensive. No. It was not. It was a special doctor, so I have to pay it myself. I pay almost 700€ per month for the stupid insurance and then it doesn't even cover this! At least the physiotherapy is covered by the insurance.

Germany has not been good for me, and doesn't seem to be so in the future. Now I am even facing the fact that the stress level in my life is so high that it is causing actual physical problems. I wish I would experience the honeymoon that people often describe experiencing when moving abroad. For me there has been stress. There has been darkness. There has been tears. No honeymoon.

*****

Tällä viikolla kävin ensimmäistä kertaa lääkärillä. Vasen leukani on ollut kipeä nyt jo hieman yli viikon, ja koska se ei ole parantunut itsekseen, päätin kokeilla ensimmäistä kertaa saksalaista terveydenhoitojärjestelmää.

Kysyin siis kollegaltani minne soittaa, ja hän kertoi että on olemassa itse asiassa leukalääkäreitä ja minun pitäisi mennä sellaiselle. Etsimme keltaisilta sivuilta studiota lähinnä olevan, ja sain ajan seuraavalle päivälle.

Lääkäri oli todella, todella mukava. Hän puhui lähes täydellistä englantia, ja olipa hän jopa opiskellut Suomessa neljä kuukautta ja puhui vielä muutaman sanan Suomea! Hän tutki ja teki perinpohjaisen haastattelun ja tuli sen jälkeen tulokseen että ongelmani on todennäköisesti stressiperäinen. Sain lähetteen fysioterapiaan jossa leukani asemoidaan uudelleen ja minut opetetaan rentouttamaan sitä.

Ainoa omituinen asia koko kokemuksessa oli se, että samassa huoneessa oli toinenkin potilas. Siinä minä istuin, selittäen tilannettani, ja siellä oli myös herra x, istuen viereisessä tuolissa suu auki operoitavana samaan aikaan. Olin todella, todella hämmentynyt. Entä yksityisyys?

Olin siinä käsityksessä että tämä lääkärikäynti olisi mennyt naurettavan kalliin terveysvakuutuksen piikkiin. Ei. Väärä käsitys. Koska kyseessä oli erikoislääkäri, joudun maksamaan käyntini itse. Maksan melkein 700€ kuussa tästä typerästä vakuutuksesta eikä se edes kata tätä! Onneksi fysioterapia kuitenkin sentään kuuluu vakuutuksen piiriin.

Saksa ei ole ollut minulle hyvä, eikä näytä olevan tulevaisuudessakaan. Nyt olen vielä sen tosiasian edessä että stressitasot elämässäni ovat niin korkeat että ne aiheuttavat konkreettisia fyysisiä ongelmia. Toivon että kokisin sen kuherruskuukauden josta ihmiset usein puhuvat ulkomaille muutettuaan. Minulle on ollut stressiä. On ollut pimeyttä. On ollut kyyneleitä. Ei kuherruskuukautta.


No comments:

Post a Comment