Friday, June 24, 2016

Midsummer Sun Festival

In Finland people are right now celebrating Midsummer Sun Festival. For me personally that has never been that big of a deal since it mostly involves whole lotta drinking and I'm not that into drinking. However, what I've usually done is getting some bbq on, enjoying my little garden if the weather allows and overall just enjoyed myself.

But, being abroad is being abroad and this year my Facebook feed fills with people posting pictures of them doing their bbq and spending time with their family while I'm somewhere else. I've tried today to approach my new life with the attitude that I will stop complaining. If not altogether, at least complain a lot less. It doesn't make me feel any better anymore.

So instead of me telling how lonely and miserable I feel of spending Midsummer Sun Festival abroad, I will post a picture of my dessert for the evening: ice cream and strawberries. Could be worse, right?


****

Tällä hetkellä ihmiset juhlivat Suomessa Juhannusta. Se ei ole ollut minulle kovinkaan iso juttu sillä siihen enimmäkseen liittyy raskasta ryyppäämistä enkä itse juuri välitä juomisesta. Olen kuitenkin yleensä grillaillut, nauttinut pienestä puutarhastani sään salliessa ja yleisesti ottaen vain viettänyt leppoisaa aikaa.

Mutta ulkomailla olo on ulkomailla oloa ja tänä vuonna Facebook täytyy ihmisten juhannustoivotuksista grillauksineen kera perheiden sillä aikaa kun minä olen jossain muualla. Olen tänään yrittänyt lähestyä uutta elämääni sillä asenteella että lopetan valittamisen. Jos en nyt vallan kokonaan, ainakin valitan paljon vähemmän. Se ei enää saa oloani tuntumaan paremmalta.

Joten sen sijaan, että kertoisin kuinka yksinäiseltä ja surkealta tuntuu viettää Juhannusta ulkomailla, liitän tähän kuvan illan jälkiruuasta: jäätelöä ja mansikoita. Voisi olla huonomminkin, eikö vaan?

1 comment: